Services at Givens
Senior Living at Givens Highland Farms empowers you to experience more of life. With the benefit of maintenance-free living, you can fill your appointment calendar with the things that interest you the most. Replace your to-do list of mundane chores with a want-to-do list of new experiences.
More than 26 different resident-led interest groups allow for abundant opportunities. Our campus’s common areas, dog park, and 16 measured walking trails allow you to enjoy the sights and sounds of nature in Black Mountain, North Carolina throughout the seasons.
Indoor activities for residents include a large library that is open 24 hours a day, a studio for arts and crafts, a well-equipped woodworking shop, fitness programs, trips off campus, and other group activities.
Most importantly, you’ll experience valuable peace of mind from knowing you can access quality health services right on campus, should your needs ever change.
The convenient services and amenities at Givens Highland Farms prioritize independence, active senior living, and security. Our services make retirement life better and enhance your overall well-being. Among our best features are our friendly, laid-back atmosphere and beautiful Black Mountain, walkable campus.
- Winter greenhouse and expansive community garden
- Dog park
- Extensive library
- Well-equipped woodworking shop
- Arts and craft studio
- Beauty salon and barbershop
- * McCall College classes offered on campus (Montreat College)
- Exercise equipment room
- Exercise studio
- Walk-in medical clinic
- Multiple walking trails
- * Access to quality onsite health care
- Flexible monthly dining dollars to use in the deli or dining room
- Maintenance of all residences’ interiors and exteriors
- Pharmacy delivery service available
- Scheduled transportation for medical visits, shopping, and local points of interest
- Included utilities, expanded basic cable television, landline phone, and private, secure, wireless internet
- Water, electric, sewer service, recycling, and garbage pick-up
- Weekly housekeeping
- Emergency call system
- * Extensive home care, if needed
Additional fees may apply*
Home Care Services
Our licensed Home Care program offers a variety of person-centered services to help you maintain independence, including in-home aide, companionship, respite and nursing care in the comfort of your home. From nursing support to household assistance, we can tailor this cost-effective program to meet your needs.
We always put your comfort and safety first by helping around the house with household tasks like ironing, laundry, shopping, meal prep, and many other non-medical tasks. If you have a more complex need, we also have nurses that can empower you to live well at home.
If you are a resident at Givens Estates or Givens Highland Farms, our dedicated team can help remove some of the hassles, stresses, and worries from residents’ lives and free them to enjoy daily living.
To initiate services, a licensed nurse will conduct an initial (and ongoing) assessment to determine the plan of care. Home Care services are billed at an hourly rate and paid for out-of-pocket. Long-term care insurance plans may contribute.
Home Care clients are also welcomed to visit us in the on-site Clinic for scheduled appointments or have services in the comfort of their homes.
Independent Care Services (No Charge)
- On-Site Wellness Clinic
- Emergency call follow-up
- Post hospitalization check-up
- Pendant battery change
Home Care Services (Billed at hourly rate)
- Support with Activities of Daily Living (e.g., dressing, grooming, feeding, bathing, transferring, toileting, medication reminders, vital sign readings)
- Daily weights
- Transportation arrangements
- Family conference calls
- Local shopping
- Caring for pets
- Meal preparation
- Light housekeeping
- Closet organization
- Home decorating
- Assistance with paperwork for pre-operative / diagnostic procedures
- Other services as requested and agreed upon
Enhanced Independent Living
A distinct feeling of family, belonging, and security fills every part of Prentice Lodge This unique independent senior living option simplifies daily life to allow a carefree lifestyle. Residents develop friendships with their neighbors and closeness with designated staff who provide a minimum of four touchpoints each day. This distinct approach to independent retirement living and support helps residents thrive, particularly those who might benefit from long-term support or desire additional non-medical help with daily living.
Visit Prentice Lodge to learn more about this unique independent living option.Go To Prentice Lodge
Givens Highland Farms provides both short- and long-term onsite inpatient nursing care, granting our senior residents security and peace of mind knowing that they have options and a plan for whatever the future holds. Quality, person-centered care prioritizes personal dignity, individuality, and maintenance of the highest level of achievable independence. We empower our residents to make informed choices and decisions regarding their living environment, services, and care. We support their preferences with respect and sensitivity.
Several fee-for-service programs allow our residents and their physicians to establish holistic and multidisciplinary treatment plans. Being part of a CARF accredited Life Plan Community with highly rated health care services equips our senior residents with peace of mind.
Outpatient services with our onsite therapists to help ease your journey back to optimal health following a surgery or illness. Medicare parts A and B, private and long-term care insurance are accepted.
- Physical therapy (transfer training, fall prevention and balance, therapeutic and strengthening exercise, wheelchair clinic)
- Occupational therapy (adaptive techniques for activities, stroke rehabilitation, use of adaptive equipment)
- Speech therapy (swallowing treatment, speech/voice communication, cognitive rehabilitation)
Short Term Rehabilitation
Givens Highland Farms’ Short-Term Rehabilitation program supports your recovery goals. This high-quality, personalized, caring approach allows you to focus more on your health and less on the potential distractions that could get in the way. Our focus is on helping you transition home safely, even if your inpatient stay is just for a few days. We also offer pre-registration for scheduled procedures and pre-habilitation programs to get you in shape to have the best outcome.
With 24-hour care available, residents can live in confidence that their more extensive care needs can be met on the same campus as their friends, spouse, or others who are part of their support network. The campus-focused facility is managed with your quality of life in mind.
Residents can enjoy private or semi-private suites with a person-center focus of care. Our compassionate staff works as an interdisciplinary team with one another, our medical director, the resident, and their family to ensure each resident receives the appropriate care and can take advantage of our rehabilitation and many therapies as needed.
- Discharge planning services by a Licensed Social Worker
- Physician visits and services with Medical Director oversight
- Short-term rehabilitation care, including pre-registration
- Scheduling and transportation for medical appointments
- Onsite spiritual and pastoral care
- Personal laundry services
- Ongoing resident wellness and health education
- Integrated and emergency pharmacy services
Integrated Dementia Philosophy
Our philosophy is to provide an environment where those living with cognitive impairment can maintain their highest level of independence. We create a thoughtful environment that keeps those challenges in mind and removes any stigma. Our team assesses individual needs and the degree of cognitive challenges to determine the appropriate levels of assistance and care needed. You will always control your choices based on our recommendations and safety concerns. We are committed to ongoing learning, meeting residents where they are, and creating a functional campus to enhance independence for as long as possible.